Tuesday, February 26, 2008

In Shock...

Steve Bernier was like family and here he is with my little brother

Here I am, in my room, clutching an 8x10 of Steve Bernier to my chest. I refuse to believe it. I don't want Brian Campbell. He's poopie. He's not the adorable happy French Canadian boy that Jess and I know and love. It wasn't always like that, though. His emo boy headshot originally made him an object of ridicule. But then, I found myself watching him teaching how Jamie Baker how to tip and I was blown away by his adorable French Canadian accent. I wasn't expecting it, because the name Steve isn't particuarly French sounding. And after that he wormed his way up to being one of our favorite players.

The very last time I met Steve...

It's a crippling blow for me. I'll never have the chance to meet him at Logitech/Shark's Ice again. Poor, poor Steve. I'll always remember how happy he was when I chatted with him in french ("C'est le fun!"). And, as he was signing for me, Rob Davison (who was also traded today, to the Islanders for a pick) came out in a pink polo and peaced out. Some punky kid yelled out to him "Nice shirt" and Steve cheerfully punched the kid in the arm because he enjoyed his burn on Davie.

I feel like this is my fault. I had changed my background on my computer from a dramatic Steve picture to Jess and my family portrait with Zebulon Pike from the Carnival (There's a novel-length post from Jess forthcoming) because I figured the Flyers need the love more right now and I'm kinda of entranced by the picture. But I never thought it would lead to this. It'll be hard to see him in a Buffalo jersey. I hope they can fully appreciate the amazingness that is Steve Bernier, because at the very least, he's made them a lot cuter.

Siiiigh. I think I need some chocolate.

Note to Doug Wilson: The only way you can make this up to me is if you trade Carle too. FYI.

5 comments:

elise said...

This made me very, very sad.

Soph said...

Yeah, me too. They already have a picture of him in a sabres' jersey and it made me want to cry. And I was listening to an phone conference with him and he sounded so pathetic. Breaks my heart. Plus everyone else is in love with the fact that they now have Brian Campell. And I'm like "Who cares?!". Uhh!

I hate the trade deadline...

Meg said...

Well, I can promise that we'll at the very least appreciate his contribution to team cuteness. I'm sorry that Campbell won't be making the Sharks a cuter team but I hope he works out well for you folks despite that. :)

kristin said...

Well I hope we've all learned our lesson about changing our desktop backgrounds!!!

Soph said...

meg: Yeah, I think we can safely say Campbell won't be making the Sharks cuter (Ugh, red-headed boy!). Unless he turns out to be a Guerin sized bust, I'm sure we'll be able to peacefully coexist, Campbell and I. Well, as long as I know my cuddly Bear will be appreciated in his new home (sniff!), I can rest a little easier.

kristin: Sorry mom, I'll never do it again... But I mean, I thought it would be different because it's freakin' Zebulon Pike!