Sunday, April 20, 2008

My One Year Anniversary!

The picture that started it all...

I'm a little late and I can't believe I almost forgot, but around this time last year that I got into hockey, the Sharks became "my" team and the Milan became my favorite player. I'd never been into sports. Then I met Jess, and she liked hockey (at that time, it was on the sly... I didn't even know until I first went to her house and Pops had me read the French Canadian names from the Hockey News, like Guillaume Latendresse) and I figured she would be patient with my noob self (and she has been). So I declared that I would follow the San Jose Sharks (as they were my home team and the Flyers weren't in the playoffs). I had a team, so now I needed a player to cheer for, a favorite player. Jess and I poured over the roster to find a suitable candidate. Milan was a goal scorer, young, had a great headshot and a name I couldn't pronounce (I'm still not entirely sure I'm pronouncing it right). He was perfect. It was like when Lilo adopts Stitch...

"Does it have to be this hockey player?"

"Yes. He's good. I can tell."

The Sharks were playing Nashville in the first round at the time, but I didn't actually start watching hockey until their last three losses to the Red Wings in the next round. I remember timidly asking Jess if we could maybe watch the one of the games in the lounge. I had such a hard time remembering who was who, eventually I just printed out the roster and kept it on my persons at all times. It's simultaneously an awesome and horrible time to fall in love with the sport. It's great because if you're following a particular team that's in the playoffs, they're on TV all the time, buuuut it's also the end of hockey's season and it's an awful long, and (at least for the Shark's last year, with their one draft-day trade and no major acquisitions) boring off season.

Anyways, happy anniversary to me!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Brothers!! They're so funny. We have backstage pass nights for season ticket holders and you can go down and see both teams as they leave and get autos and pictures.

The end.

LOL!

No, but it's so funny because if you ask Milan how to say his name it's Mi-HAUL-ick. If you ask Zbynek, it's Mi-CALL-ick.

I think they are confused...

Soph said...

That is beyond amazing. I'm not going to lie, I am very jealous. I love the Michalek brothers. I just imagine them calling each other every day, talking for hours and it's like a cuteness overload. I always try to find pictures of them together, but I suprisingly suck at it(I think I've found like 3 online, which is a sad amount considering they play in the same division). And I wonder about what their parents do when they play each other. Who do they cheer for? Wouldn't it kind of suck knowing that one of your sons is going to lose no matter what? I want them to play on the same team, but I couldn't bear to part with Milan, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to see Zbynek leave.

I've noticed the pronounciation difference too, on their player pages. Which one is it boys? Or are you secretly not related (which would be my undoing)? I was actually planning on asking Milan, the next time I go to a practice (I need to plan such things way, way, way in advance), but if THEY can't even decide, then I'll never find out.

Was that long enough? I could write a novel on Michalek love and musings...