Saturday, June 21, 2008

The draft's exciting... no, really?!

Okay, so we're not huge fans of the draft here at Slightly Saucy (see post below), but this year's first round was crazy! Trades galore! I can't say it exactly endeared the draft to me more (as every time I saw Gary Bettman headed for the podium, I covered my eyes and yelped, "Oh no!"), but it made it made the four hours pass a little more quickly. The Sharks surprisingly didn't do anything to acquire a first-rounder... not that I thought they should have (since they could really use some NHL-ready help), but Doug can sometimes be a crazy wheeler-dealer. The Flyers, though, kept us alert by shipping RJ Umberger to Columbus for the 19th pick. Poor Giggles will not be pleased about this. Just when we finally get her into hockey, one of her faves gets traded away! (At least no trades involved Cheechoo, Lupul, or Briere, her bigger faves!)

The draft was good for something else, though... I think I found a future job! I want to be one of the people who stands behind the big sign at the draft and switches out the team names when teams make trades. It's like being Vanna White without having to be on camera! And it takes a little more effort to shimmy those team names on the board than to just touch a light-up block, so I'm sure you feel like you're really accomplishing something. And it involves hockey! Perfect!

4 comments:

Soph said...

Jess, if you were working behind the wall would you still get to wear an elegant gown?

I still want to be one of the kids in the jerseys who run around fetching the GMs water and popcorn or whatever...

Jess said...

Hmm, that's a good question. I think the gown would just get in the way of frantically trying to change team names...

Do you think they have popcorn at the draft?! Wow, it's even more exciting now!

K-Mart said...

I'd like to be one of the kids getting drafted...

Soph said...

Jess, I definitely saw huge boxes of popcorn at the team tables. I notice the important details.

Psh, K-mart, don't talk crazy--that's not the most excting thing to be at the draft!