Tuesday, June 24, 2008

No cards left behind!

Going to the the sports memorbilia store in my hometown is always an adventure. Soph and I love the surprise of buying packs of hockey cards, but it's even more thrilling to go through the boxes of loose cards at this store and find our faves that way! I decided to drop by yesterday, just to pick up some packs since I was sans-Soph. But it turned into far more of a magical adventure!

When I first arrived, I was immediately caught off guard. The store was unusually crowded (ie there were two other customers), and "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" by Rod Stewart had just come on the radio. Awk-ward. So I wandered aimlessly, poking at boxes of football cards. For some reason, I couldn't just march up to the counter and pick out my packs; I had to do some investigating. As I was meandering around the store, I discovered a huge mixed box of hockey and football cards. I eyed the box skeptically. The last time Soph and I were at the store, we literally scavenged every mixed box of hockey cards. We did find some gems then, but they were cards from the mid-'90s. Too early for most of our faves. THIS box, though, was newer with cards from the '05-'06 season. I pulled out a handful just to see, and I found a Curtis Brown card. Hmm... We like Curtis Brown. Could there be more faves hidden in this box? So I searched some more and stumbled upon Lupul and Christian Ehrhoff cards. And then it turned into Christmas morning: three Rusty cards! Two Marcel Goc cards! A Cheechoo card! A Milan card! Nabby cards! As the radio continued to play things like Barry White, and the owner embroidered jerseys in the back, I was doing silent fist pumps in front of my huge box! I ravaged that sucker, checking out every card and leaving piles of loser cards on the boxes around me. By the time I finished and cleaned up, I had twenty cards. Yes, twenty. (They weren't all for me, don't worry!) Here's the thing... Going to the card store is like a search and rescue mission for Soph and me. Because there are so many loose cards that most people wouldn't be crazy enough to sort through (heh), we're thrilled to find players we like. And even though we might not like certain cards as much as others, or we might already have the same cards at home, we can't just LEAVE those cards at the store! Our faves can't be abandoned to sit around and collect dust! Our maternal instinct kicks in, and we have to give them a good home! Maybe we're just weird... (I DID spend an hour sorting through cards... and had a good time doing it!) After all the excitement with the mystery box, I finally picked out my packs. When the owner rang up my purchases, he was like, "Sharks fan?" I wonder what possibly could have given me away...


After spending that time being a total eight-year-old boy, I then marched myself across the street to CVS to buy make-up. No, seriously. I have a wedding to go to in a few weeks, and Giggles won't be here to be my personal make-up artist! Ah, nothing like a fun day of make-up and hockey cards...

6 comments:

kristin said...

OMG. I was totally on ebay tonight searching for hockey cards! Great bored hockey minds think alike!

I almost won a lot of Biron cards, but someone else swooped in at the last minute and stole it away. Darn.

Maybe I should venture down to my local sports memorabilia store. I think the closest one is at the mall though...

I bought my first pack of hockey cards at target a few months back, and was totally underwhelmed by my selection. I think my best card was Marc Savard. I will have to look and see if there are any Sharks in there that you can have. I have a feeling there might be.

Sadly, they are at work, so you will have to wait a whole day to find out. I was trying to stir things up between two guys that like opposing teams. I put a Bruins card up on this Flyers fans computer so he would think the Bruins fan had done it. Heh.

Jess said...

Oh, the things we do to keep us going through the off-season!

That's too bad about the Marty cards. I forgot to include that I found a really shiny Marty card for Soph in another box... too bad he's on Buffalo in it, though.

Yeah, I don't know why the packs are still so exciting... We rarely get people we like (aside from one super exciting pack that had like back-to-back Rusty and Lupul cards! What a bonanaza!). It's very hit or miss... I'm sad that I can never find Gator cards at this store.

You're quite the troublemaker at work there, missy!

kristin said...

Oh! I have a TON of gator cards! A TON! Let me know where you want me to send them! (I have a lot of dupes!)

K-Mart said...

Ohh man, it's been a long time since I've collected cards... I don't even know where I'd go and get them...

When I was younger I used to have a HUGE amount of hockey cards. I would "draft" teams, and would have them play games against each other by rolling dice... I had a lot of time n my hands back then...

Soph said...

Kristin are you for serious about the Gator cards? You could always use the repeats to create a mural. Of Gator love... Buuut, if you really need some one to take them off your hands...

Which reminds me, on eBay someone was selling their Oiler themed Uno cards and apparently Gator was Reverse. How sweet is that?!

K-mart, you must have been a really imaginative kid. I wouldn't even play with my Pokemon cards and that had rules and whatever...

kristin said...

*must find gator uno cards*

And yes, I really do have a LOT of gator cards. I could probaly send you about 8ish. Which now that I think about it, doesn't sound like a lot, but it is.

Hit me up by email and I will send them out...I'll even send you a Sharks card if I can find one in my pile! (I'm not saying it will be a good Shark...)