Monday, June 23, 2008

Welcome Baby Sharks and Flyers!


So, the draft is over. Phew! (I know it ended two days ago, but I'm slow and lazy)

The Sharks managed to do some wheeling and dealing on Day 2 of the draft (although only picks where involved). Center Justin Daniels was their first pick at 62nd overall and his twin brother and right winger Drew was their last pick at 194th. They also picked two defensemen with the same last name (but no relation) Julien (146th) and Jason (186th) Demers (I wonder what they'll put on the jersey if they end up playing together, because even J. Demers won't be specific enough). I enjoyed that Samuel Groulx (92nd) lists M-E Vlasic (otherwise known as Pickles) as his favorite NHLer. That may be enough to crown him as my favorite Sharks' prospect from this draft (Last year it was Nick Petrecki). And they also picked Finnish goalie Harri Sateri (106th) and an American center Tommy Wingels (177th). Not too bad, although Doug Wilson wasn't as trade-happy as everyone predicted and I'm sure K-Mart will be tickled to know that Doug supposedly gave Brian Campbell's agent permission to chat with some mystery East Coast teams. Perhaps they don't need to dump Patty Marleau's salary after all... Who knows what'll go down with these crazy GMs?

The Flyers did stuff too! They chose Luca Sbisa (19th) in the first round. They also stole the Sharks' first rounder. I mean didn't Holmgren know, PattyCakes + ? for Zherdev + 19th? Get with the program guys. Although I won't hold it against it him. I do enjoy the kid's name. How often is an S followed by a B? Pretty sweet stuff. They ended the draft with Marc-Andre Bourdon (67th), Jacob Deserres (84th) Zac Rinaldo(178th) and Joacim Eriksson (196th).

Welcome, wee little babes and hopefully we'll get to see you play in a few years.

3 comments:

K-Mart said...

Do they do first initials in hockey? I always thought it was just the last name no matter what. I could be wrong though.

Soph said...

Huh... I guess I don't really know for sure. Buuuuut, I just looked up the Sedins and they use first intials.

kristin said...

Wingels is a funny name...