Thursday, July 3, 2008

Updates!

Okay, so first of all, the really important stuff: I talked to Soph this afternoon, and she came through her surgery with flying colors! I'm sure she'll be on here soon enough (no surgery can take away her love of the internet!), but she seems to be doing well and is resting at the hospital for the night. Feel better Soph, my BBBFF! <3

And in free agent news... Rusty signed with Pittsburgh!!! Aaaaahhh, oh noes! This is pretty much how my reaction went (as I was simultaneously on the phone with my mom, Moo, who basically views Rusty as her son-in-law):

Moo (talking about someone at work): "So they gave me these Little People toys, like the ones you used to have when you were a kid--"
Me: "Aaaaahhh!"
Moo: "What?! You can't be this excited about Little People!"
Me: "No! Rusty signed! With... PITTSBURGH!" (I felt like Ralphie in A Christmas Story... "It was... soap. POISONING!")
Moo: "Oh! Well, he'll be closer to you guys now than in New York, right?"
Me: "No, but it's Pittsburgh! He can't just go and sign with the team that eliminated the Flyers! Oh, Rusty, how could you?!"

Could this be the dealbreaker for my almost eight years of devotion? At least when he went to Tampa and the Islanders, I was indifferent to both teams. But Pittsburgh JUST wiped out one of our fave teams, and they are captained by Cindy Crosby, who irks me, to say the least. AKDHJGBUDH is about all I can say at this point, as I bang on the keyboard in frustration. *deep breath* As far as an acquistion, Rusty will help the Pens. He can be clutch and gritty, and he's won a Cup. But, as much as I love him, I have to admit that he can be rather inconsistent, and a little injury-prone. Oooh, boy. This is going to take some getting used to. I'd also like to point out that my mom is like the only one who's ever around when Rusty goes somewhere new. He got traded to Tampa while I was at her house for the weekend, and he signed with the Pens while I was on the phone with her. Pops may be my hockey buddy, but geez, he's never around in times of hockey crisis! (Well, except for when Steve was traded. We called him at work when that happened!)

Since today has been a day of total mayhem, it's a good thing I'll have quite a distraction tonight... I'm going to a wedding! But not just aaaaany old wedding. I'm going to the wedding of Philly's Ben Franklin and Betsy Ross impersonators! Seriously, they're getting married in real life, and "Betsy" is a family friend. So there may be a full report forthcoming... Stay tuned.

7 comments:

K-Mart said...

Well a few things: the Penguins also signed Miroslav Satan. So that means they get another wimpy player and the devil (there's no god damned H in that name pronounce it correctly!), and if you don't end your love affair with "Rusty" I may have to disown you.

Soph you also have a choice in this, I don't have to disown both of you.

God I need to not drink at Penn State.

kristin said...

Glad to hear Soph is doing okay...I was thinking of her and her spleen today!

I was thinking about Rusty too, wondering if Pittsburgh will be the dealbreaker for you. I think only time will tell...

Jess said...

Kristin, I think you're right... Only time will tell if I can continue to love a be-penguined Rusty. (So, I'm sorry K-Mart, but I guess you're going to have to wait to disown me!) Rusty will always have a place in my heart as my first fave, but can I cheer for the Pens? And Cindy Crosby?! Blah, ick, no! Rusty had kind of slipped from my focus as an Islander (I was too preoccupied with the Sharks and Flyers!), so his being on the Pens certainly won't help him. Siiiiigh. Rusty, geez, you're making it impossible to love you!

K-Mart, don't disown Soph, she only likes Rusty because of me. And I may have to take up drinking myself with all this free agent madness!

Soph said...

ARGH! I knew that as soon as I was incapacitated shit was going to go down... Rusty to then Pens, Rob Blake to Sharks, Boyle possibly waiving his NTC to go to the Sharks and Steve just got traded... to Vancouver... Gawd... Too much.

Jess said...

OMG STEVE WAS TRADED?! Again?! What the hell is going on around here?!

Soph said...

Waaaah!!!! Rivet to Buffalo for two 2nd rounders... I liked free agency when nothing was happening...

Jess said...

I know, that one was totally out of left field! I couldn't believe it! Aww, Rivet... We wanted you to captain the Sharks! Who else is going to make fun of Pickles on Shark Byte and be Kyle's older d-man BBBFF? God, what a bizarre day. :(