Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hi, my name is Jess and I'm addicted to the Olympics...

Yes, it's kind of a problem. I do a fist-pump every time I hear the Olympic theme on NBC, not gonna lie. And regardless of the event, if I'm home, the Olympics broadcast has to be on in the background. Oh Olympics, for four years, you disappear, but then you come back to me, and I love you! Absence indeed makes the heart grow fonder. I don't intend to get totally engrossed in things like, oh, men's gymnastics, but it just happens.

My level of enthusiasm for the Olympics
I must say, my absolute favorite Olympic moment so far was the US men's 4x100 relay team narrowly beating France to win the gold. That race was bananas! What a fabulous come-from-behind victory! You would have thought it was game seven of the Stanley Cup Finals, Pops and I were cheering so loud! And this race introduced me to my Olympic boyfriend. Obviously, I can't latch onto Michael Phelps, there's no more room on his bandwagon. (Though I do think he is freakishly, obscenely talented.) So! After watching the men's relay team win and go absolutely bonkers, I decided that Garrett Weber-Gale was the guy for me. He's kind of dorky-looking (swoon), and he (along with Phelps, see above) was totally ecstatic to win gold. (It was pretty heart-warming/funny to watch.) Plus, I had never heard of him before Sunday night. Perfect! Upon doing some further research, I learned that he likes to cook (now that's exciting!) and that he WEARS GLASSES! (Thank you, YouTube videos of him cooking!) This is positively thrilling for me. As a glasses-wearer, I love a bespectacled boy. So clearly, I've found my man. Now we just have to find an Olympic BF for Soph...

A slightly calmer moment for my Olympic BF

***
Oh, and my Olympic dreams may not be dashed after all...

Me: "I wish the Olympics had like one not so athletic event. So I could compete in it. Like a spelling bee or something!"

Pops: "What about sentence diagramming?"

Me: "YES! That's the ticket! I wouldn't lose tenths of a point by misdiagramming compound complements! Woo-hoo!"

5 comments:

elise said...

Hi, my name is Elise and I'm in love with the entire mens' olympic swim team (but especially Phelps)

Jess said...

I know what you mean, Elise! The men's swim team is just so awesome. However, I wish the Olympics had a twelve step program or something to help me break my addiction... I don't know what I'm going to do with myself when it's over! (Thank god it will almost be hockey season by then!)

kristin said...

Is it October yet? Or even September?

Jess said...

I know, seriously Kristin! Hockey needs to come back ASAP. Michael Phelps and the Olympics can only distract us for so long!

K-Mart said...

I love the Olympics, but it's hard to watch the gymnastics because it makes me feel like a pedophile when people like Shawn Johnson are on the mat...

My new favorite summer sport is Handball though. I don't think there are any rules to the game. Just run up and down the court and throw the ball at the net. If someone gets near you, tackle them. It's almost like hockey, but not quite there.