Saturday, October 11, 2008

Hockey's back with a vengeance!

FYI, VENGEANCE!!11!!, in all its many forms, will never get old for me. (Along with "Yo mamma-ween!") But more importantly than that... HOCKEY IS BACK! Yay, the dark cloud has finally lifted! I know the season has technically been underway for like a week now, but tonight's Flyers home opener was the first game I've been able to watch. (Boo Brit Lit mid-term, keeping me away from the Sharks home opener Thursday night. How can I focus on Beowulf when there's hockey to watch?!)

Okay, so the Flyers lost tonight, bummer. But I liked the resolve they showed, and I was quite impressed with Mike Richards' dropping the gloves and clutch scoring and whatnot. I guess he finally was able to embrace his captaincy, after his dream last summer...

Also, I'm kind of enjoying Luca Sbisa. (How in the name of Valtteri Filppula does one pronouce "Sbisa"? I feel like there were a few pronounciations floating around during the game...) I thought he looked pretty composed for being so young And he seems somewhat McLaren-esque, what with the random hip checks, and the fact that he's an eighteen year old rookie d-man with a number in the forties. (Kyle was 46 as a rookie.) Plus, I love Euro boys. But if he takes a spot away from our perfect man in training, Randy Jones, we will not be happy! (Geez, this week has been a hard one for our perfect men! Waived, injured... more than slightly sucky developments. I'm still not fully over Kyle being demoted, sigh. Apparently, he offered Rob Blake his number four during training camp because he wanted to maintain his Slightly Saucy appointed title of perfection. Or something like that.)

Now that the season's underway, I so totally cannot wait for the 10/22 game against the Sharks because Soph, Giggles, and I are going! (In honor of Soph's birthday!) We actually bought Flyers t-shirts from the boys' section of Target in preparation. (Psht, like we need an excuse to spend money on hockey-related stuffs. Riiiight.)

3 comments:

kristin said...

YAY!!!! Hockey is back!!!

I like to think of Luca Sbisa as Luca's Pizza. That is what it sounds like when Lou Nolan says it during announcements...

K-Mart said...

Si-bee-sa. That's how I pronounce it at least.

Jess said...

YAY!!!! Hockey is back!!!

I KNOW!!! Even with the Flyers' less than stellar performance last night, I was just so happy to have hockey back. I missed it so!

And thanks for the Sbisa pronunciations, guys! haha Kristin, Luca's Pizza... Maybe that's why I was getting confused...