Thursday, March 5, 2009

"Wait, what happened?" Calmer thoughts on the trade deadline

So now that we've had a day to recover from trade deadline madness (euphoria?), let's take a moment to reflect on what our fave teams did:

Flyers trade Scottie Upshall and a 2nd round pick for Daniel Carcillo

I have to admit, I was kind of shocked that Lupul wasn't shipped out of town since his name was in a bazillion trade rumors! But no, Upshall gets traded for Carcillo... who is another fighter? Isn't that Riley Cote's job? Sorry, I was a little puzzled by this trade. I get that the Flyers needed to clear up cap space, but couldn't they have gotten some defensive help in return? (Zbynek Michalek, maybe? He's a steady d-man, who we just happen to love!) But whatever, we've got Carcillo now, and we'll see how this plays out... hopefully better than tonight's lackluster effort! Sheesh, guys!

Flyers trade a 6th round pick for Kyle McLaren

Hallelujah, our beloved Kyle gets traded from one fave team to another! Although Kyle has been injured/stuck in the minors all season, I don't see this is a terrible trade. (And that's not just because I love the man!) He's a veteran d-man who hopefully can be inserted into the Flyers line-up soon... because Parent scares me sometimes! And if he gets injured or things don't work out, he's a UFA at the end of the season, and the Flyers only gave up a pick to get him. Not too shabby, in my opinion. I do wish the Flyers had picked up some more defensive insurance, though, only because Kyle does have a history of injuries...

Sharks trade some guys I've never heard of to get Kent Huskins and Travis Moen

Doug Wilson, you crazy wheeler-dealer! How do you do it?!

PS- Thank you Anne for live blogging the trade deadline! (TSN and my computer don't always get along, so your updates were much appreciated!) And thank you Kristin for texting me about the most important move of the day!

2 comments:

Soph said...

Since I missed the Flyers game, I wanted to ask, how did Carcillo look yesterday?

Jess said...

Hmm... he was okay. He kept trying to agitate the Flames, but they were already up by four goals, so they were like, "Psh, whatever man!" However, I think he and Giroux had a good energy shift in the third that contributed to the Flyers' lone goal.

You didn't miss much last night... that game was abysmal!