Monday, September 14, 2009

From training camp with love


Since Soph is mourning a sad day in Sharks territory, Pops and I decided to go to Flyers training camp today, so we could get pictures of Soph's fave east coast team and cheer her up! Considering practice commenced at 9:00 AM, we clearly love you, Soph! ;)

Flyers training camp has changed a lot since I was like fourteen. For starters, there's lots of pomp and circumstance on Day 1 now, and the Skate Zone was PACKED. Apparently, they split all the potential Flyers and Phantoms into two teams that practice in the two rinks, so there's practically continuous on-ice action for three hours. AWESOME. Also, attendees can stick around for the taping of Meet the Flyers, which will air on Comcast in a few weeks. Pops and I had no intention of doing so, but we inquired about Meet the Flyers anyway and were given the last two available wrist bands. (I have been freakishly lucky lately! I should really play the lottery...) So we also got to watch the taping, which featured most big name players including The Pronger (of course!), Carter, Richards, Danny, Coburn, and GIROUX, to name a few. And Coatsey wound up asking Hartnell and Simon questions right next to us! Consequently, my best picture of the day was of Hartnell. FAIL. But I did get some of Soph's actual faves at least!

Claude Giroux! Just for you, Soph!
This is one of my better pictures... sigh.
If someone wants to Google search "Claude Giroux blurry," their needs will be met, at least!

Pops: "Giroux is a responsible boy..." as seen here!


Timonen! Yay!

But he and Coburn were unfortunately in the other rink, sans Giroux...

At least I got one decent shot in the brief time that I saw him!


As a sidenote, The Pronger kind of terrifies me... He's huge! And scary! But he was hilarious during Meet the Flyers, and I was oddly mesmorized by him during practice! So this one's for you, Kristin!

I had almost figured out "blur reduction" at this point...
But that can't mask the fact that he looks ready to keel over!

A lot of my other pictures either turned out realllllly blurry or were deleted by my camera's selective transferring. Curses! But I did manage to get a semi-decent shot of my fave Flyer these days...

Coburn! Standing around bashfully while Boosh and Emery were being interviewed

(He's joined here by Timonen and Tollefsen)

Flyers training camp Day 1? A total blast. (Though it would have been better with Soph there, of course!) I highly recommend it to any Flyers fan who's dying for hockey after a loooong summer!

8 comments:

K-Mart said...

Gahhh I want to go to training camp! No Richards pics? :(

Jess said...

You should definitely go! It was fabulous! I want to go back myself, and I was just there!

As for Richards, I actually did try to get pictures of him, as he skated by me like 75 times! But they all came out super blurry. Sorry :(

kristin said...

Oh man! If I had known you were going, I would have dragged my ass out of bed at 7:30am to get down there!

Soph said...

I'm so jealous, I wish I could have gone! And when you told me the best picture you took was of Hartnell you neglected to mention that it was also the most terrifying!!!!

Jess said...

Kristin: Things were still kind of up in the air yesterday (ie- I had to actually get up at 7:45... a major challenge for me as well!), or else I would have given you a heads-up! If I had, we could have both been scared of the Pronger together! haha Are you planning to go this weekend?

Soph: I know, the Hartnell picture scared me too! My camera was all zoomed out so I could get pictures of Giroux on stage (which didn't turn out so well, sigh), so I was really surprised to have such a close-up of Hartnell!

K-Mart said...

Yea, I really can't go... I have this little thing called school :P I wish I was closer...

Jess said...

Bummer, man. I'm in school too (well, grad school), but at least I'm still relatively close by for these kinds of things.

Wait til senior-itis sets in, then maybe you'll make it to a practice! haha

K-Mart said...

Lol I have that... but I have the perfect cure for it- take classes w/ 0 homework in it.