Monday, September 28, 2009

Is this the year? (fantasy league edition)

Yesterday was the draft for K-Mart's fantasy league. Last year, we made some... interesting... choices, but now, we're wise, learned fantasy leaguers, and it wasn't quite such a rough draft. (Though I did unintentionally draft 2/3 of the Flyers roster. Whoops! Maybe I should actually be at the draft one of these years?)

In case you forgot, Soph capped off a fabulous year by winning the Stanley Cup last season. Everything she touches turns to silver! Is this the year for her to create a dynasty??? (cue dramatic music) Here's her team:

Slightly Sucky

Keepers: Joe Thornton, Cam Ward (just for you, Kristin!)

Centers: Vinny Lecavalier, Anze Kopitar

Left Wingers: Patrik Elias, Milan Michalek (her beloved), Ville Leino

Right Wingers: David Backes (her fantasy league beloved), Jason Pominville, Drew Stafford (Staffy!), Phil Kessel

D-men: Jay Boumeester, Kevin Bieksa, Lubomir Visnovsky ("Vote for Lubo, don't forget!"), Bryan McCabe, Ryan Suter

Goalies: Evgeni Nabokov, Ray Emery


I did not fare so well in fantasy hockey last season. Consequently, the Killer Cupcakes were bought by Jim Balsillie and moved to Hamilton have become Foxy Lady Byng. (Though, judging by some of the guys I drafted, that name is no longer applicable...) Is this the year when I'll make the playoffs???

Foxy Lady Byng

Keepers: Pavel Datsyuk, Nicklas Backstrom (Datsyuk and Backstrom... they sound like a European pop duo!)

Centers: Brooks Laich, Stephen Weiss

Left Wingers: Thomas Vanek (my requisite Sabre), Ryan Malone, Alex Tanguay, Antoine Vermette

Right Wingers: Marty St-Louis (wooo! Soph and I need to have Marty and Vinny!), Claude Giroux (...sorry Soph!), Jason Williams, J.P. Dumont

D-men: Chris Pronger, Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn (sensing a trend?), Rob Blake

Goalies: Roberto Luongo, Henrik Lundqvist

This should be funny to look back on in April...

9 comments:

Soph said...

Jess, I think we both drafted much, much, much better teams then last year... I'm also pleased that we still have Vinny and Marty and their song ;)

Jess said...

Oh yes, our teams are much improved! haha I love that we drafted Marty and Vinny in the same round even without me physically being at the draft! Don't stop belieeeeving... :)

K-Mart said...

You got Giroux... I'm upset! :D

My buddy John (goes by CUNT in the league) decided to only draft players with high penalty minutes, so it should be interesting to see how that turns out...

I'm looking forward to the season!

Jess said...

I'm quite surprised I was able to steal Giroux away from Soph!

Maybe your friend should change his name to Team P-I-M-P, emphasis on the PIM aspect there... haha

kristin said...

Soph, I can't believe your team last year was just scavenged waivers and free agents...and you won the cup! Also, I can't believe I have to play you and Cam this week! Dang!

Soph said...

Did you know Cam Ward was one of the players I scavenged? I kept him just for you :P

Although I'm certain that your team will in fact kick my team's ass

K-Mart said...

After Jess took a commanding lead yesterday, I came storming back for a two point lead today. Foxy Lady Bing and Brawling for Brotherly Love are locked into a close battle to be determined tomorrow!

K-Mart said...

Waugh. Horrible day :(

Jess said...

Sowwy K-Mart!