Saturday, March 6, 2010

Bad romance?

On Thursday night, the Sharks played the Canadiens, and, in anticipation of that game, Four Habs Fans pimped us out as a Sharks blog. (They did acknowledge our mind-boggling Flyers-Sharks hybrid, which I feel like I should explain for people who don't know us: Soph from San Jose + Jess from Philly = Slightly Saucy!) ANYWAY, FHF got me thinking... when was the last time we wrote exclusively about the Sharks?
.....
.....
.....
Yeahhh...

November, I think, when Soph went to the Flyers-Sharks game at the HP Pavilion. Yikes.

All year, we've been lamenting how we just don't know this Sharks team. The team we first started to like in 2007 has been largely dismantled. (Okay, I guess we have Matt Carle to bridge the Flyers-Sharks gap, but he's never been one of our faves.) You can catch Sharks games fairly often on the east coast, so I don't know why I'm still struggling to keep these newish guys straight. (Though apparently, Jamie McGinn has made an impression somehow. Last night, Pops was like, "Who's number 64?" To which I immediately said, "Jamie McGinn, duh." Go figure.) We still know what's going on with the Sharks, like that they're at the top of the western conference and also had crickets chirping at the trade deadline, but we don't blog about them as much as we probably should. Soph's fave (Milan) is off in Ottawa, and I guess my fave is supposed to Pickles, but I'm just not that into him this year. We've always liked Joe Pavelski, but he's kind of like vanilla bean ice cream: good and reliable but not that exciting. Soph and I do enjoy some of the young call-ups like Frazer "Razor" McLaren (the total beanpole poised to be a future enforcer) and this guy:

This is Jason Demers, who is actually a defenseman and not a young and slightly disheveled high school algebra teacher.

(I think our school portraits had that same background!)


But they keep getting pinballed between Worcester and SJ, so that's problematic. And there's our year with the Sharks, in a nutshell: we're caught in a bad romance. (Ro-ma-ooh-la-la) With the playoffs on the horizon, we'll be paying closer attention to the Sharks' latest epic fail run for the Cup, along with the Flyers' attempt to hang on to a spot in the east. Ugh, this last month of the season is going to be the death of me and my nerves!

8 comments:

Flora said...

The comment of Demers looking like an algebra teacher had me cracking up. I find that photo sorta charming, is that bad?

Great blog!

Jess said...

I find that photo sorta charming, is that bad?

Not at all! Demers has definitely stolen my heart this season... too bad that he's constantly being called up and sent down! He'll have a lot of frequent flier miles at the end of this season!

Also, thanks for for stopping by! Welcome to Slightly Saucy! :D

Aces Papa said...

As a guy from San Jose raised by a father from Philly your blog is perfect! Keep up the good work ladies

Jess said...

Thanks so much, Aces Papa! I'm glad you can appreciate our weird combination of teams! :D

kristin said...

Hey, isn't this supposed to be a post about meeting Lappy and Leighton?!?

(Sorry I chickened out!)

Jess said...

I needed an accomplice, preferably a super cool gal with two Leighton jerseys, but apparently, peer pressure doesn't work on you!

Soooo I chickened out too! :(

kristin said...

Man, we are so lame. Soph would have totally done it.

Jess said...

I know, right?! Reason #1,210 why Soph needs to come back to the east coast.