Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Catrick's Day!

That witty pun was the inside message in my mom's St. Patty's Day card to me:

My mom is convinced that I will, one day, be a spinster with 80 apparently drunken cats.

(Also, these fellas could use some Kitten Mittens Mittons!)

My parents get along really well, but they're quite different. (They've been divorced forever, which may explain why they get along so well?) To put it in Flyers terms, Pops is like Kimmo Timonen: the always calm father figure.

And then there's my mom. She's like Chris Pronger: totally B.A.

My mom, aka Moo, doesn't get a lot of play on the blog, but that's all about to change because we're going to our first ever Flyers game together! That's right, we'll be taking in this Sunday's Flyers-Thrashers game. (I'm already praying that Leighton's injury won't be that serious, but a high ankle sprain? REALLY, hockey gods? Ughhh...) This may be Moo's first live game since the '80s...? I hope it doesn't suck!

My mom and I may look alike, but we're also quite different. For starters, Moo loves baseball like I love hockey; thus, she's head-over-heels for the Phillies. (We're even going to the game on April 2nd to celebrate her b-day!) She's still recovering from losing her beloved Cliff Lee and, as she also adores Jayson Werth, she likes to scold me for mis-treating my J. Werth blanket. ("Why is he all balled up?! If I've only got one more year with him, please fold him!") Personality-wise, Moo is way saucier than I am. She pulls no punches and is an expert at thinking up killer comebacks.

ANYWAY, since the Phillies consume her life, Moo needs Flyers 101. She knows Gagne ("How old is he?! Does he have a walker yet?"), Giroux (from hearing us gush about him constantly), Coburn and Carter (thanks to the Carnival), and Richards (since he's the captain and all), but that may be it. I'm thinking of making her a handy-dandy guide so she'll be fully prepared for her game experience... Fingers crossed that it's a good game!



(On a completely unrelated note, the playoffs started this week in our fantasy league. Soph won our division... woooo! And I achieved my goal and actually made the playoffs! I'm really way too excited about it. Last year, I was a horrible GM, and my team sucked, so I'm glad to no longer be on the outside looking in. Obviously, Soph is the grizzled playoff veteran, while I'm the overly excited rookie. Such. A. Nerd.)

4 comments:

K-Mart said...

You're kicking my ass in the playoffs :(

This is what I get for being nice and letting you into the league.

Jess said...

It's only Wednesday... there's still time for you to come back!

K-Mart said...

Yea... 70 points isn't gonna happen.

Jess said...

I'm sorry K-Mart! :(