Monday, May 24, 2010

"My goal in life wasn't to win this award, it was to win the next one..."

That quote came courtesy of Michael Leighton on the post-game podium. Six months ago, that quote, and that setting, would have been unfathomable. Now, anything seems possible.

I'm still in a state of stunned euphoria that the Flyers are really in the Finals, namely because they haven't been to the Finals since I was TEN YEARS OLD. Yes, in '97, I was in fourth grade and couldn't pronounce "Dainius Zubrus" (who was just a rookie). I didn't care about hockey then; it just interfered with my busy reading schedule of The Babysitters' Club and The Outsiders. Since 2000, I've avidly watched hockey and have seen the Flyers stumble three times in the ECF. But that's all a distant memory today. Today, the Flyers are in the FINALS, four wins away from having their names engraved on the Stanley Cup. MADNESS!

Tonight's game wasn't their best, but it was enough to land them the Prince of Wales Trophy. (Did we not all collectively have heart attacks when Richards grabbed it off the table? I'm glad they're not superstituous, but I can't say the same about myself!) They've clinched a spot in the Finals and guaranteed June hockey in Philly. There's also lots of intrigue: Which unproven goalie will outshine the other? Which young captain will dominate? Which trend will last: a Winter Classic team making it to the Finals and losing (Pittsburgh '08, Detroit '09) or Marian Hossa losing in the Finals for the third time and with a third team?

AAAAAHHH It's so exciting to have a team we really like in the Finals! I guess it would have been nice to have our two fave teams, had the Sharks advanced instead of Chicago, but I think I'd rather just have one. Being in Philly and having followed the Flyers more closely for the past year, the Flyers would have taken priority. And I don't want to hate the Sharks!

So history has already been made... can they cap it off with the ultimate prize???

(On a sidenote, I had a bunch of pictures all planned to use in this post and now my computer's driving me bonkers. So I guess I'll have to save them for another day!)

6 comments:

kristin said...

Woohoo! Sorta speechless here!

Moo02 said...

You gotta be freakin more than this!!!! Are ya in shock???

kristin said...

Moo!!!

Jess said...

Sorta speechless here!

Me too! I had a really hard time writing that post. I guess I was/am still in shock, as Moo suggests!

And yes, this is the one and only Moo! Moo hasn't been able to comment in awhile because she had password issues... but all bets are off for the Finals! :D

K-Mart said...

I'm sooo excited for saturday. Can't get here fast enough.

Jess said...

I know! Only one day to go! Eeeeeee!!!!!